Thursday, May 10, 2007

Knitting and the V&A

"Ruth: I learned to knit about 3 years ago, when I was about 22. I knitted a (very long) striped scarf in garter stitch. When I took it home to show my mom, she commented 'It's like something a five year old would knit!' (she started knitting when she was 2, apparently). I was slightly miffed at such a comment and was proud of my scarf. However, I was not put off. I am still knitting today and have even joined a knitting group that I go to every week. I have progressed from scarves to bags, and am now making one for a friend. To please my mom, I have now learned how to do moss stitch!"

Taken from Your Stories of Learning to Knit

I found this today while looking for a fun anecdote to relay to you all because I didn't want to bore you with the details of my bath robe—it is like watching grass grow to knit it. I am 7 inches into a 17 inch length on the back but thanks to a really gripping episode of Lost I had to stop knitting and watch. (Wasn't Jacob creepy?)

The reason Ruth's story struck a cord in me was that I can't imagine this happening in the blog-o-sphere. Even though my bath robe might be a bit (no, VERY) dull unfinished, I feel your support and thank you for not saying so. I am sure we have all had to contend with a fairly boring knit. And can you imagine a mother poo-pooing any sophomore knitting effort? By the time my girls are 22 I'll feel pretty good if they feel a shared interest in anything I do. After all knitting a scarf in garter stitch (which as I am learning is all purling, right?) must have required a lot of stamina.

I leave you with a visual on the bathrobe progress. The photo may look familiar, I doctored the original photo until I could come up with an interesting way to shoot it although it looks pretty accurate.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knit on!! You can do it.
I agree, Ruth's mom doesn't really sound all that supportive.

a friend to knit with said...

oh poor RUTH! What a terrible thing to say to your daughter! :)
Sure glad she is still at it!

Your bathrobe is looking marvelous!
You are doing a FABULOUS job!!

(THAT is what you are supposed to say to your daughter)! :)

Really, it REALLY is! I know it feels like you are watching the grass grow, but sometimes that is the best kind of project!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I know the whole 'grass growing' problem, with the big projects...that's why I always have my little sock side-dish!

Natalie said...

I can't imagine discouraging anything my children put effort into. It is one of my many roles as a parent to show unconditional love and support of the things that my children do.

Your bathrobe looks fantastic. You have made great progress!

Sabrina Hirsch said...

Okay first of all, knitting a bathrobe is a HUGE undertaking, and anyone worth their addi turbos knows that. Second, I can not believe that any mother would say that, how rude! Keep up the good work, and knitting something that bores you while watching tv is the BEST!