Monday, November 12, 2007

I Call It The Bones Backless Shrug



As I watched Bones (on Fox) the other night the lead character, Temperance Brennan, had on the most adorable shrug over a blue silk shirt. I have searched for a photo of it to no avail. To the best of my recollection the illustration above is the closest I could come to re-creating it. I thought, "Maybe I could knit one?" The problem? I am not so good at knitting that I can tackle knitting my version of the shrug without a few tears and maybe some hair pulling. So I am appealing to you if not just for me, but for the sake of my hair. Does anyone out there know of a pattern like this one? Maybe something I could use as a rough guide? I would even accept some advice as to how to cast on for this sucker. I was envisioning having to start working it in two parts casting on the valleys below the armpits, working the armholes sections separately increasing stitches on the right front and left front to achieve the angles I want, working the middle section with increases on the left back and left front eventually adding several stitches to connect the back section across the upper back and neck and then sewing up the to connect the shoulders. My brain has flipped over in my head. Is this even possible? Does it makes sense to anyone else? Maybe I need to start in the round at each sleeve and join it at the neck? I apologize if my thoughts read a little like Latin. Unless you read Latin in which case they read a little like Greek. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

KnitPastis said...

I too had asked for help on a sweater design and you would be amazed at how many people will give leads to pattern. I am not that creative on the knitting front. Maybe first you can sew one out of a stretchy fabric as to act like the stretchiness of yarn. It might give you an idea on how to construct it knitting wise.
I know if I don't hurry up and make what idea I have floating around in my head, then I will just lose my ummph for it.

Anonymous said...

i can offer no help except to say that's it's super cute and you can do it!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Very cute...sorry I am unable to help. Have you looked on Ravelry at all??

a friend to knit with said...

ok, i am not a designer...but with those photos, you certainly are!!!
sooo impressed!
what i would do would be to cast on along one shoulder since that is the longest point.......so the stithces would run from right to left instead of from bottom to top. that may be interesting....then decrease on both sides until the center of the back, then increase on both sides until you reach the other shoulder.
that sleeve looks great.
i also agree with knitpastis on cutting out a pattern with paper or fabric.